Our Vision: Through educational performances, classroom visits, special student ticket offers, positive role modeling, and community partnerships, we initiate and strengthen connections between young people, great orchestral music, and the Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra.
We are committed to sharing the joys and value of great orchestral music with children and young adults in our community and state. We believe that all students in Minnesota deserve the opportunity to hear their great symphony orchestra perform live. Exposure to this music offers each child the key to a lifetime of artistic enrichment and civic involvement. The Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra have offered the following initiatives to introduce and deepen connections between students, orchestral music, and the Minnesota Orchestra:
- Symphonic Adventures are educational Youth Concerts performed at area schools: These hour-long concerts offer students an opportunity to hear the Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra perform in their own school! Programs usually feature material we will perform later that week in one of our major concert productions. Music is interspersed with age-appropriate dialogue from the conductor on the podium. If the school’s schedule permits, a Q&A session may follow with some of our musicians.
- $10 student tickets: In an effort to deepen our connection with students of the schools we have visited, we offered $10 tickets to those teenagers and their families. These specially prcied tickets were for our main-stage concerts in major Twin Cities venues.
- Free Family and Community Concerts: The Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra proudly produce numerous free concerts including our annual September Lake Harriet Community Concert. We also perform family concerts at neighborhood venues, such as Temple Israel and the North (Minneapolis) YMCA Youth and Teen Enrichment Center.
- Send Students to the Symphony: We introduced a program whereby deserving students can attend our concerts for free, thanks to tickets provided by our generous supporters. This initiative was inspired by donors who previously contacted us to help them distribute blocks of tickets that they had purchased.
- El Sistema Minnesota: We have partnered El Sistema Minnesota, a nucleus program in North Minneapolis. The Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra performed numerous benefit concerts for the children and families involved in this special music enrichment program, and some of our musicians spend time working with the program’s young string players. More about El Sistema MN here
- Young Musicians of Minnesota: We are incredibly proud of the concerts these young musicians produce and the work they do in our community, and we are honored to have partnered with YMM in developing a cross-generational musician presence at such important events at the Minnesota State Fair and Pride Weekend and Minnesota Orchestra concerts. YMM website here
- Classroom Visits: For many years, our musicians have been visiting elementary and middle school classrooms throughout Minneapolis and the metro area, performing short educational programs and talking directly with children. The Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra intend to carry on and expand this initiative, planning band or orchestra classroom visits in advance of full Minnesota Orchestra performances. We use this special individual musician or small ensemble format to educate and delight small class groups of very young children, introducing them to the sounds and magic of orchestral instruments and instrument families. This Google Form link enables teachers to request a Classroom Visit from our players.
- We are educators, too! The Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra are a group of highly trained professional performers who shape the performance opportunities for young people in our community. Our musicians conduct and direct major youth orchestra programs, teach at area universities and colleges, serve on boards of organizations devoted to education and youth enrichment, teach private instrumental lessons and coach sectionals for school and youth orchestra programs. We honor our responsibility as stewards of the tradition of high-level instrumental music making by sharing our passion and expertise with the next generation of performers and music lovers. We believe that well-rounded citizens are formed in part by exposure to that most fundamental human mode of expression, music making.